I have found 5 studies between 2006 and 2013 which have shown a significant correlation between air pollutant exposure and higher risk for autism in children. As observational studies they cannot prove causation but the consistency of the data is worth noting. All but 1 of these research papers have the full text version available online for free, which is nice.
- 2006 – Autism spectrum disorders in relation to distribution of hazardous air pollutants in the san francisco bay area. (Full Text, PMC)
- 2010 – Perinatal exposure to hazardous air pollutants and autism spectrum disorders at age 8. (Full Text, PMC)
- 2011 – Residential proximity to freeways and autism in the CHARGE study. (Full Text, PMC)
- 2013 – Traffic-related air pollution, particulate matter, and autism. (Abstract, PubMed)
- 2013 – Perinatal Air Pollutant Exposures and Autism Spectrum Disorder in the Children of Nurses’ Health Study II Participants (Full Text)